<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 01, 2005

One of the things I like to do when I see a film that I love is read the most negative reviews I can find of it, to try to divine how someone could hate it. I did this with Sin City, which I thought was a great film.

I was expecting people to hate the movie for its nihilism and its horrific violence--from the right, as it were. It has the standard Hollywood Christians-are-corrupt message right up front, like every other Hollywood movie. But at least this one is a noir, and in a noir everyone is corrupt, so I could suspend my hatred for the cliche.

But then I found this lovely hissyfit from the famously lefty Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Sitting through the thing, watching scene after scene in which I was being asked to be entertained by the spectacle of helpless people being tortured, I kept thinking of those clean-cut young American guards at Abu Ghraib. That is exactly the mentality Rodriguez is celebrating here. "Sin City" is their movie.


That one left me speechless.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?