<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Sorting out the fallout from the election. I've been reading comments on lefty sites, mostly for the sheer schadenfreude of it all, but also for insight. I see a lot of this:

My eyes are still puffy from crying last night. Bush is ruining my country. I guess I'm insulated from the religious right since I live in Los Angeles. It frankly amazes me that there are people in my country who are so backward in their thinking.

One of the things that most depresses me is that I don't understand the majority of my country and how they could vote the way that they did. I love America and I was born and raised here, but I'm starting to feel as though I don't belong here, that as a liberal, progressive person I'm in an ever decreasing minority.


Statements like this explain a lot of the disconnects that make much of American life so baffling to the average liberal. They regard people who don't think like them as beneath contempt. They can't imagine that any other point of view than their own could possibly be legitimate. And they are acquainted with almost none of them:

>...it's harder for me to understand why anyone would willingly want him in office (of all the people I know, I can only count 3 or 4 as Bush supporters).

The predominant emotional states are melodrama and self-pity:

Between California secession and the fact that I ordered a Qur'an on-line right after 9/11 to help remind myself that muslim does not equal terrorist, I sooooo have an FBI file. If you don't hear from me, expect a post card from Guantanamo!

If I go overseas for vacation this winter with my American passport, I hope people will know that as a black guy, I am as big a victim and an enemy of this administration as anyone.

But then again, as a woman, I'm wondering if I'll even be allowed to vote in 4 years.

I have a feeling my Black ass might be forced to pick cotton like my ancestors.


And, most entertainingly, their beliefs are often delusional:

Personally, I think a Edwards/Clark ticket could reconnect with many of the parts of the nation that Kerry could not.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?