<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 03, 2003

Running this morning at the Heinz NWR on the most spectacular Indian Summer November day that I can remember, with all the leaves still on the trees and full of color, with the air warm and sunny, and as I'm running down the Impoundment trail nearing the Observation Tower, I see this big black trashbag in the distance before me. I come up to it and it's not a trashbag, it's the biggest damn turtle I have ever seen in my life. It was a Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina), but I had never seen one that large. The shell was about 18" long and 12" wide, and counting the head and tail it was over two feet long. By the time I went back to get my camera, he had finished sunning himself and was gone.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?