<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 14, 2003

Cycling through the upcoming movies for the rest of 2003 that I want to see...

American Splendor. I knew going in this would be the best comic book movie of the year.

Girl with a Pearl Earring. I love period biopics to begin with (Shakespeare in Love, I should point out, was not a biopic but a hallucination). But Colin Firth as Vermeer, absolutely.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico. I am looking forward to this one, the third in the El Mariachi series. The great, sexy chemistry between Hayek and Banderas and the usual frenetic, over-the-top gun battles would be enough to get me to see it, but this one has a very interesting guest cast with Willem Dafoe and Johnny Depp as villains.

Under the Tuscan Sun. I will go see any feature filmed in Tuscany, even the most painfully chick-flicky Diane Lane vehicle such as this. It does have Raoul Bova, one of my favorite Italian actors, though.

Matchstick Men. I'll see anything Ridley Scott, even atypical Scott, in this case a gentle comedy. And I'm looking forward to seeing a full-of-nervous-tics Nicholas Cage.

Underworld. Kate Beckinsale in, basically, Romeo and Juliet with vampires and werewolves.

Cabin Fever. This one is getting great advance reviews for what, from the plot, sounds like a very standard teenagers-in-a-cabin-in-the-forest horror movie. Flesh eating bacteria sound like a kind of abstract villain, but I'm willing to go along.

Love, Actually. I can't resist Richard Curtis's London yuppie stories, even as the yuppies get older and older. This one looks especially nice, promising ten different interwoven stories and a very large ensemble cast highlighted by people I will see in anything, like Emma Thompson, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, and Alan Rickman.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. It seems to me that a $135 million movie about naval warfare in the Napoleonic era is a bit of a risk, but I'll see anything Peter Weir does, and I am already a Patrick O'Brien fan.

Kill Bill Part One. Love the trailer.

Cold Mountain. Not a Nicole Kidman fan especially, and Anthony Minghella is a little precious for me, but the concept--Ulysses in the Civil War--is irresistible. I loved the book.

Mona Lisa Smile. Normally I am not captivated by Julia Shows Them All films, but this time it doesn't sound like the usual JR vanity production. For once she is part of a real ensemble of A-list actresses (Julia Styles, Kirsten Dunst, Maggie Gyllenhaal).

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. If we had the extra $ to risk, I'd have the store sponsor a midnight showing, just so I could see it earlier.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?