<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 05, 2003

There's a wonderful MEMRI article that's up at Frontpage.com, digesting a recent al Qaeda anti-Shia screed. This is significant because it's the first time I've seen any attacks on Shia doctrine from the Sunni fundamentalists. Up until now, Osama's boys have been all Islamic-solidarity, in spite of all the centuries of ill will between the sects. For what it's worth, I have tended to favor the Shia case--in my years as a Baha'i I came to appreciate the Shia point of view (Baha'is believe in the right of succession of the Shia imams rather than the Sunni Caliphs).

I'm thinking that this--the Sunni fundamentalist attack on Shia Islam--is another consequence of the successes of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq: The insects are beginning to devour themselves.

And I'm currently making my way through Krzysztof Kieslowski's Trois Couleurs trilogy, and I can already tell that they will be taking up a lot of my time this week because I will have to watch them multiple times to get the color symbolism. Dammit.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?