<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 31, 2003

I'm running around quite a bit today, but I had a few minutes, and I wanted to do one of these....

Which song...
reminds you of your school days?:

Ooh. Bad one to start with. I erased my school days from my memory a long time ago. There are dozens of songs that recall specific moments from my childhood--I remember reading the exact comic book I was reading in March 1965 (Fantastic Four # 39) while listening to "Lovers Concerto" by The Toys--but anything associated with school is long gone from the files. I like music, and would never associate it with the horrors of my schooling.

inspired you to make music?:

When I was a kid I thought "Hey Little Girl" by the Syndicate of Sound as as cool as music could possibly get, and I fantasized about playing it, but, no, I never was musical.

reminds you of a low time in your life?:

"I Believe" by the Buzzcocks is what I always played for self-pitying comfort after bitter disappointments; there is nothing so purgative of bad stuff as playing this song at full volume while Pete Shelley screams "There is no love in this world anymore" fifty or sixty times.

reminds you of a high time in your life?: There are a few I could give here, but the Pulp Fiction soundtrack reminds me of the best moments at my job in the mid-90s--it was played in the warehouse all the time.

reminds you of falling in love?:

Easy. "I Have Dreamed," the Oscar Hammerstein song from The King and I, definitive version by Frank Sinatra (Sid Mark closes every one of his Sinatra radio broadcasts with it). It's all about longing and hope in equal parts:

In these dreams I've loved you so
That by now I think I know.
What it's like to be loved by you.
I will love being loved by you.


are you embarrassed to admit that you like? So many. I will pick one: "Cara Mia" by Jay and the Americans.

reminds you of a great holiday (vacation)?:
I don't recall that many great vacations, so this is a tough one. I will go with Andrea Bocelli's ubiquitous "Con te partiro'" because I heard it first in Italy and it reminds me of living there.

puts you in a good mood?: Any version (and there are several) of "Zombie Jamboree":

Back to back
Belly to belly
You know they don't give a damn
because they're dead already


reminds you of summer?: Go ahead and laugh, but "Grazin' in the Grass" by The Friends of Distinction transports me into balmy 1968 every time.

reminds you of rain?: The version of "Kissing a Fool" by George Michael.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?