<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 03, 2003

I saw Miyazaki's wonderful Spirited Away tonight.



I found it the most coherent Miyazaki yet. It's visually stunning, like all his films, but I actually started to get what he was trying to do. I don't always do that with Miyazaki films: Princess Mononoke, though hypnotically beautiful, went right over my head. But Spirited Away is much more accessible, a straightforward story of a young girl who stumbles into a fantasy world. In many ways it's the most ambitious and literary Miyazaki yet: The central metaphor of a child trying to interpret the grotesqueness of the adult world is vividly drawn with one unforgettable image after another. The blatant obviousness of the allusion recalls Kafka; some of the images in the film are right out of Dali and Henri Rousseau. I loved this movie.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?