<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 14, 2003

I wrote this in an email to a friend of mine who was soliciting advice on what to do with her time once all of her kids are in school:

If I were laid off tomorrow, I would immediately start an internet business. I would have done it already, but I really have no time with my fulltime job. Minimal overhead, cost depending on how you want to set it up. As to what to sell, it would be whatever you felt passionate about, whatever junk you like to collect. Or don’t even bother with that and just start an ebay business for no overhead at all, and just sell crap you find at garage sales. It just seems that if you wanted to earn money, this would be a lot more interesting and fulfilling than most quickie jobs you could get.

I tried to start an ebay business with the store, but I quickly found that it was impossible to do in my spare time, especially with the store so far away from where I live. I was doing all the work, paying for postage out of my own pocket, and getting no support from anyone. The end was when we sold this expensive statue on ebay, and just this once I decided to let Bob and Snapp send it out for me. The next Saturday I walk in and there's the package, sitting starkly behind the counter like the monolith in 2001 a Space Odyssey. "Uh...I guess the label came off and it came back," was the story. No one thought to, uh, maybe, re-label it and send it out again? Apparently not. So I had to take it and ship it myself, vowing never to do this again. I would do it again, but only if I didn't have a fulltime job, and could supervise the process myself, and pay for postage out of the store's money.

And, by popular demand....

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?